Tuesday, July 12, 2016

“Make Me a Millionaire!” – Warning: Writing this almost made me vomit.

I can’t believe that I’m actually having to write about this but I was so pissed off when I heard about it this morning that I couldn’t refrain from saying something. On my drive to work I was listening to the radio and they had a caller talking about his desire to become a millionaire. He was a young father who worked as a truck driver and his wife was a stay at home mom. Sounds like a good goal right? My ideal audience. With hard work and financial discipline I fully believe that they could make it and retire as millionaires. But apparently hard work is just too hard for some people.

How is he planning to become a millionaire? By asking other, hardworking, people to give it to them because … He needs it? He deserves it? He’s able to provide them with a service worth the money? No! Because he wants to be able to spend more time with his family, help his wife around the house, and enjoy life without having to spend his time working for his living. But don’t worry, he won’t keep all of your money for himself; he is SO GENEROUS that he is only going to keep 80% for himself and donate the other 20% to cancer and diabetes research. (But please don’t donate to those causes yourself because if he is the one sending the money to the charities then he can write it off as a charitable donation from him and alleviate the tax bill that he’s going to have to pay for this $1,000,000 of free money that he hopes to collect.) 

I was pretty perturbed about it when I first heard it and wanted to do an article about it so when I got to a computer I tried to look him up on GoFundMe.com to be able to get some more specifics to share. And that’s what lead to me feeling nauseous and wanting to throw up.

This was my first time on GoFundMe and most of the needs look legit and awesome; towns collecting money for the funeral expenses for a young family who lost a toddler, medical bills for a mom fighting cancer, disaster victims, $200 to get a wheelchair for a war veteran who lost a leg, ect. But if you do a search for “Make Me a Millionaire” you will see some of the slime that our society has created.

I took some of these and figured that we could play a little game where you can vote on who the winner is. I now bring you “The Leaches of Society: Mr. (or Mrs.) I want everything for nothing”, you tell me who the winner is (I’m voting for #3):

                Contestant #1: Aaron Van Drei


               Contestant #2: Dan Tascher


                Contestant #3: Bryan Beare


               Contestant #4: Bo Robinson

                Contestant #5: Josée Hale

                Contestant #6: Ian Kerfoot

                Contestant #7: Joel McMullen

*Note: These were just a few that came up in the first few pages of the search. And no, I don’t feel bad about stating their names since I’m just reposting what they wanted people to read about them.

Can someone please explain to me why these capable people expect the rest of us to just hand over our money to them? They are doing nothing for society and half of them state that they plan on squandering it all away. My only source of solice on the subject is seeing that between all 7 people listed above, they have only managed to collect a few hundred dollars total. At least we haven’t stooped so low that we are actually willing to fund this type of behavior.

This is exactly the mindset that we need to get away from if we are to be financially sucessful. I’m not a betting man, but I would be willing to bet that these people don’t have the financial where-with-all to manage $1,000,000 windfall. While they think that it would last them a life time, I’d wager that they would be broke within a few years tops and be right back with another add that says something like:

“It worked once before but I blew it all and don’t have any employable skills or way to make money now. Please give me more of your money so that I can continue to live beyond my means like they do in the movies. It was fun while it lasted. I promise to give some of it away to a good cause.”

We all have dreams and goals but the journey toward those dreams is what makes that accomplishment meaningful. The experiences along the way are how we learn. I would be more than willing to help these people and would love to be given the chance by volunteering to work with them one-on-one but doubt that they are the types that would be interested in putting the required effort into the journey. Getting rich is hard work, so it’s time we get to work.


  1. Yikes! These people have some lessons to learn. Haha, this post was good for a few laughs. Thanks Roy!

    1. Glad I could brighten your day. Now we just have to find a to reach these types of people with the financial wisdoms we teach. Have a good one Brother.