I got an awesome guest contribution for you today from an old friend of mine. He told me that he had a great idea for an article and made a special request to have it be article #100. And since I’ve never been able to tell Mr. Yazzie no, here he is. Take it away D.
Testing, testing, 1, 2, Can you hear me? Cool, I think this mic is working.
When my boy Roy here told me that he was running a blog about personal finances that is aimed at helping people understand more about money and how to live cheaply I told him that I would love to share any of my tips with him anytime. And today he started calling in that favor – hopefully you’ll be hearing a lot more from me in the future. You should leave a rating in the comments below to help convince Roy to have me on
air site more often.
Here’s my first savings tip for you:
Use OverDrive to get Audiobooks, e-books, and movies for FREE
I work out in the oil patch, and most of the time I am by myself driving on dirt roads or checking out equipment that I could do in my sleep – don’t tell Uncle Williams. For a long time I use to listen to the radio when I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up a good station. I constantly felt bored at work and couldn’t imagine having to keep up the routine for the rest of my working life. But about 2 year ago I found a game changer and now I look forward to going to work and being out there by myself all day – don’t get me wrong, I’m still looking forward to retirement, but as long as I have to work this makes my gig not too bad.
What did I find? Peyote.
No, just playing, I don’t do drug. I found OverDrive.com
It started when Roy convinced me to switch over to Republic Wireless and I was able to ditch my piece of sheep poop flip phone and upgrade to a smartphone for a ton less monies every month – I wanted to do a post about that but Roy told me he already did it. here
A few months after getting my Moto G I was told about an app called OverDrive that would let me borrow free audio books from my library. So I decided to try it out.
All it took was to download the free OverDrive app, look up my local library, enter in my library card information and everything was set to go.
It took me a little while to explore it and learn how awesome it was but now I’m a pro and use it ALL THE TIME. I download free audiobooks on my phone to listen to at work, I’m just about to finish my 200thaudiobook in almost 2 years. I sometimes read borrow e-books to read on my tablet before bed. I stream movies through their website instead of renting or buying them. It’s amazing what they have access to.
- You never have to worry about getting charged any late fees for anything because when it is due it simply gets returned to the library and disappears off of your personal bookshelf.
- If you find something that you want to check out but it’s not available, that’s fine, you can just put it on hold and when it is available it will automatically be added to your account and they will send you a notification email that it belongs to you for the next 3 weeks.
- You will never have to actually go to the library again.
- If you have kids, you can set the maturity rating for anything that will show up as an option to borrow. The different ratings are: Juvenile, Young Adult, General Adult, and Mature Adult.
- If you have accounts with multiple libraries you can register all of them and easily switch back and forth to see which library has what you want.
- It’s FREE! I no longer have to pay for books and since I can stream thousands of movies I finally cut out all my cable and movie expenses, not even Netflix anymore.
- Since I’m listening to all these books I feel like I’m actually learning things while I’m at work instead of just killing the time with music or silence.
- I can’t think of any right now but if I find one I’ll let you know.
In case you are interested, I wanted to add a list of my favorite book that I’ve listened to on it so far: Born to Run, Natural Born Heroes, all of the Bernard Cornwell books, Furiously Happy, The Richest Man in Babylon, Your Money or Your Life, Dad is Fat, and The Risen.
So, if I have convinced you to go try out OverDrive for yourself please do me a favor and leave a comment below saying you’re going to try them. Nobody is getting paid by them, it’s a free site and Roy won’t collect and affiliate cash from them, I just want to know as a way of boosting my ego as a sales man. Something to put on my resume you know – “Salesman: Encouraged __ thousand people to test out a product.” Nobody has to know it was a free product right. ;)
I’m out Brother.
Don’t worry, it took me some time to get use to that joker as well. Hope you enjoyed the article and, more importantly, enjoy saving some cash of entertainment expenses by following his lead.
Thank you so much for reading and your help in acknowledging our efforts. If you have benefited in any way from this article could you please help show your appreciation by and support by taking a few minutes to do some of the following ideas:
- Leave your insights and suggestions as a comment below.
- Think of at least 1 friend that you think could benefit from this article and refer them to it.
- Help provide financial support for our efforts by clicking on any of the advertisements on the site. Note that this is a free way for you to help provide us with funding to keep bringing you content. (If you’re looking for the simplest way to help – this is it).
- Check out another article here.
- Sign up to get new blog posts in your email here.
You are appreciated,
Band Of Savers Founder