Every once in a while my electric company sends us a little home audit on our energy usages compared to other homes in the area. I like getting them for a few reasons. First, we are always below their Energy “Efficient Home” and way below their “Average Home” (2,511 nearby homes build around the same time with similar sq. ft.) and it makes me feel good to see that. And, second, because they always have a few short tips on how you can save electricity.
Since I just got one of these for last month I figured I’d share their energy saving ideas for you all today. If you’ve got more please share them with us. If you want more look here.
1. Cut standby power to your home computing system – Save up to$25 per year
Your computers and all gadgets that go with them use power even when they are off. This “standby power” accounts for over 50% of the total energy used by many of these devices! The easiest was to cut this waste is to plug all your gadgets into a power strip and turn it off when you’re not using those devices. One click does it all!
2. Turn off outdoor lights during the day – Save up to $75 per year
If you leave your outdoor lights on at night for security or aesthetics, be sure to turn them off each morning. If you have trouble remembering to do this, consider installing a light sensor, timer, or motion sensor on your outdoor lights; or switch to solar-powered lighting.
3. Reducing Water Waste
Do you rinse your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher? If so, scrap that habit! Dishwashers are very good at what they do, so pre-rinsing isn’t necessary. Using hot water to rinse dishes wastes energy and water. Instead, use a fork or a spoon to scrape off the large pieces of food and let the dishwasher do the rest!
Hope you find these ideas useful and can find ways to implement them and save a bit in the process.
Thank you so much for reading and your help in acknowledging our efforts. If you have benefited in any way from this article could you please help show your appreciation by and support by taking a few minutes to do some of the following ideas:
- Leave your insights and suggestions as a comment below.
- Think of at least 1 friend that you think could benefit from this article and refer them to it.
- Help provide financial support for our efforts by clicking on any of the advertisements on the site. Note that this is a free way for you to help provide us with funding to keep bringing you content. (If you’re looking for the simplest way to help – this is it).
- Check out another article here.
- Sign up to get new blog posts in your email here.
You are appreciated,
Band Of Savers Founder